Another productive workshop day with the team of La Prensa. I am amazed to see the progress the young team makes with visual storytelling, some of which are posted live at the end of the first day workshop.
It was another group and another successful digital media workshop for Panama’s http://www.prensa.com
As we see below, participants first sketch a story board of how text and visuals will combine in the story.
As it happened, now everyone in the newsroom has undergone training, including a hands on workshop. As a result of yesterday’s workshop, some of the stories created and executed in the workshop were posted by the end of the day.
See stories here, all following a lineal storytelling format that is ideal for mobile devices.
Second day participants present their linear visual stories
Participants teamed up in groups of five, and given 2 and a half hours to complete a linear visual story, working with real news stories in the day’s agenda. A spokesperson for each group presented their story to the group, with discussion and analysis following.
Stories published hours after workshop concluded
The main components of lineal visual storytelling
These are the key points we have emphasized during the workshop for participants—a mix of journalists, designers, editors, technical types—as they entered into a new form of journalism and storytelling.
- Pitch your story with the headline to be used. In lineal storytelling, headlines are key to lure us to what is to come.
- Make sure that the story selected has plenty of graphic potential before committing to it. For lineal visual storytelling, visual assets are key, whether photos, videos, graphics, social media elements.
- If using videos, make sure that these are not too long. Consider silent videos too, which help create a mood and enhance the story without overwhelming it.
- Don’t be so ambitious with a single story: after more than five visual assets, perhaps it is time to edit the material. Less is best.
- Finally, the best stories are focused very precisely on one angle of the story and avoid detours.
The Garcia Media Digital Media Storytelling workshops
For more information about our one or two day workshops, please feel free to contact us directly: email@example.com
Digital Media North America
This two-day event, organized jointly by WAN-IFRA and the News Media Alliance (NMA), will provide a unique opportunity for North American news media executives to hear and discuss digital revenue strategy from the world’s most advanced media companies.
I will be one of the speakers for this conference in New York City.
Digital Media Awards (Deadline for entries: Aug. 23)
I am honored to be on the jury for this WAN IFRA-sponsored competition.
From Best Use of Online Video to Best News Website, from Best Advertising Campaign to Best Data Visualization Project, WAN-IFRA’s North American Digital Media Awards call upon the US and Canada’s most innovative news media companies to present their best and latest digital projects to benchmark their achievements in 10 competing categories.
The entry submission deadline is August 23.
TheMarioBlog post # 2683
Sign up and we will keep you updated.